Saturday 21 April 2012


Annique's Perspective 



For as long as I can remember, I have always wanted to become a veterinarian. From a tender age, perhaps as soon as I could walk, I have been assisting my father in his veterinary clinic – be it weekends or school breaks. I have also always had a profound love of animals, I guess this has been fostered by my always having been exposed to them in a positive light from an early age – something I wish more people in St. Vincent and the Grenadines could experience. When a child shoos an animal, or expresses some other form of cruelty towards it, I don’t think it is because the child doesn’t like the animal, he or she is just emulating what they see their parents and other influential people in their life do, they then grow up with a certain mind-set and in turn pass on these traits to their children.

I’m currently on a journey towards obtaining my DVM; at the moment I’m going for my Bachelor’s Degree in Animal and Poultry Science (Pre – Vet). My main goal is to become the best vet I can be, and then return home to make a difference in the lives of the animals residing in my country. To me, having the power to alleviate the suffering of these animals is the most important aspect of veterinary medicine.

While working with my father, I’ve seen some heart rendering cases of neglect and abuse: animals so engulfed by parasites that they are on the brink of death; extreme malnutrition; oozing, festering, human-inflicted wounds; and so many more. The worst of it is however, that after these animals are cured, they end up going back into the arms of those who caused the misery. I would dearly like to see brighter futures for these animals someday.
I take my hat off to the VSPA J I am SO happy with the effort being put forth, and I’m deeply inspired by how much hard work you guys are doing! Can’t wait to help you guys out when I get back in the summer!

All the best,

Annique-VSPCA Volunteer 

No comments:

Post a Comment